Saturday, August 4, 2012

No Tears For Katy


My niece is heavily into body piercing, and she came home and told my brother that she is now intending to get a new body modification called a 'dermal teardrop'. My brother wasn't really sure what this was and asked me to tell him if it was actually safe or not since he knows I have done a fair amount of research into piercings and what not. However, I wasn't too sure about this one so I had to do a little research!

I already new that dermal anchors were a method of surface piercing where the anchor is surgically placed under the skin and the jewelry screwed onto a protrusion so I figured it must be something like that. On further investigation I discovered that a dermal teardrop was exactly that, but located just below the eye so it looks like you are crying a diamond! It sounds pretty right? However, there are of course ugly side effects!

Any time you mess with the eye region, it makes me nervous. The eye is very delicate, and it actually does not take very much to make you blind! In the case of the dermal teardrop the biggest risk – like with most body modification – is actually infection. However, this type of body modification is prone to 'inward traveling infections'. In most situations, if a piercing becomes infected it begins on the skin surrounding the wound. The body is programmed to produce a duct to push the infection out through the pores. However, with a dermal teardrop the infection tends to grow in reverse which can often lead to the infected duct bursting below the skin and allowing the infection to reach the bloodstream. This means the infection can quickly spread throughout the body very quickly and is often fatal.

Some more minor risks with this dermal teardrop include heavy bruising. Any body modification usually results in some bruising, but around the eyesocket is delicate and often the dermal teardrop procedure results in dark bruising lasting around 2 weeks. Not a good look for a teenage girl! Then of course we have implant rejection risks. If the body decides to reject the implant (after all any piercing is a foreign object) then the area can become irritated and the skin will peel away until the implant comes to the surface. Again, not a good look – I hear zombie chic is so last season!

So after relaying this to my brother who in turn told my niece.. Katy is no longer indulging in a dermal teardrop. Not only because her father forbid her, but because she actually wasn't aware of the risks and decided against it herself. There is a lesson there. If you want a body modification, do your homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment